A "tongue in cheek" blog title for the experience that I will share about the all too quiet brown recluse spider who "attacked" and then defended itself to the death. Here is my day-by-day account of the fiddleback's tiny little parting gift that continues to unfold under my skin.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Day One: 6/6/11

I was bitten by a brown recluse spider on Monday, June 6th, 2011, at about 8:00am.

Day one pain level was a zero. I didn't take a picture of the bite site, but after about an hour it was very itchy. It was uncomfortable, irritable, but not painful.

Diameter of bite was approximately the size of a quarter after about 6 hours. It looked (but didn't feel) like that of a wasp sting. It was pink and raised.

Here is a picture of the fiddleback that bit me and in the process was killed! Notice the darkened violin/fiddle shape on it's head that narrows towards the direction of it's abdomen. It has long, spindly legs. As the other part of it's name indicates, it is reclusive and not an aggressive arachnid. They prefer to hide in dark, warm, dry places. Such as in my case, clothes in your closet. It will only bite if it feels threatened.





No comments:

Post a Comment